Despite autumn being characterized by the shedding of old leaves after summer has come to a close, I find it to be refreshing, exhilarating, and representative of some of my favorite recipes.
As once-lush trees become deserted of their frond, and the warm summer air peels away to a reveal fall's crisp chill, evening drinks get warmer, desserts get spicier, and home gets cozier.
Hot cocoa, piping tea, and warm cider.
Sweet pumpkin and crisp apples.
The cozy aroma of cinnamon drifting from the oven and filling our home.
Being wrapped in oversized blankets by the fireplace as the temperatures and leaves fall outside.
Just as buttered rum and thick blankets by a fire warm the body, the gathering of family and friends does the same for the soul.
With our kitchen happily hosting guests and our oven producing endless fall-inspired feasts, this time of year brings much inspiration and fervor.
These pumpkin scones graced a mid-morning brunch with some cordial company. Their crumb is tender. Their flavor warm with aromatic cinnamon, cozy nutmeg, and spicy ginger. Gluten free, vegan, and sweetened with coconut sugar, their warm flavor is perfectly sweet and deliciously welcomed by gathering family and friends.
makes 8 scones
-1 3/4 cups gluten free flour (see below note for what I used)
-1/4 cup coconut sugar
-2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon guar gum
-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
-3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-dash ground ginger
-1/2 cup dairy-free butter, chilled
-1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
-1 flax egg (1 Tbsp. ground flax + 3 Tbsp. water)
-3-4 Tablespoons coconut milk
-1 Tablespoon vanilla
optional turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat oven to 400F and line baking sheet with parchment paper or non stick baking liner.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, guar gum, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in medium mixing bowl.
3. Cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs no larger than the size of peas. Create a well in the center of the bowl.
4. Add in pumpkin, flax egg, coconut milk, and vanilla. Stir wet ingredients together then fold dry and wet mixtures together just until combined.
5. Turn out onto prepared baking sheet. Pat into a circle 3/4" thick. Score into 8 wedges and let sit on sheet for 10-15 minutes to rest.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until edges are golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out with fine crumbs. Let cool 10 minutes, cut and serve.
adapted from this recipe by Leigh Olson
*gluten free flour: 1/2 cup millet flour + 1/2 cup white rice flour + 1/2 cup brown rice flour + 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
-coconut sugar: sugar, brown sugar
-guar gum: xanthan gum
-dairy-free butter: coconut oil
-coconut milk: other dairy free milk