He lives in the house he grew up in, down the street from the stunning California coast.
Their rich, caramel flavor is irresistible.
Chocolate Covered Caramels
makes 1 to 1 1/2 dozen caramels
-12 large pitted dates
-1/2 Tablespoon peanut butter
-optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla & pinch fine sea salt
-1/3 cup chocolate chips
-1 teaspoon coconut oil
1. Line plate or toaster-sized baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Process dates and peanut butter in food processor until smooth. It will be sticky, scrape into a small bowl and freeze for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from freezer and form into 12-18 small balls [depending on preferred size], or a log chopped into pieces, and place on parchment paper. Return to freezer and freeze at least 10 more minutes while you melt the chocolate.
4. Combine chocolate chips with coconut oil in double broiler over medium heat, stirring until fully melted.
5. Drop each caramel in chocolate, covering thoroughly, then place back on parchment paper and freeze.
store in freezer or refrigerator and enjoy chilled, at room temperature they become almost too soft to hold.
they taste fantastic using only dates and peanut butter for the caramel, I added salt since I used unsalted peanut butter, and the vanilla takes the caramel flavor a step further.
you can sprinkle a pinch of fleur de sel over their tops to make them salted chocolate covered caramels
adapted from this recipe by Oh She Glows
-peanut butter: any other nut or seed butter