Gluten free graham crackers.
There are many brave trailblazers out there that have developed recipes for gluten free graham crackers, vegan graham crackers, nut free graham crackers, and good ol' fashioned original graham crackers. Some of those recipes called for ingredients I did not have, some had dairy or egg ingredients, some had wheat ingredients, all sounded and looked delectably tasty.
After perusing many graham cracker recipes, I pulled out nearly half of my supply of baking ingredients and used a little here, a bit there, and a kiss from the graham cracker Gods before coming to a delightful dough with a quaint golden color, perfect baked crunch, and subtly sweet finish. Yum.
These tasty little crackers are gluten free, dairy free, nut free, and vegan.
Gluten Free Nut Free Vegan Graham Crackers
makes about 2 dozen 1 1/2"-2" crackers
-3/4 cup old fashioned oats
-1/2 cup sorghum flour
-1/3 cup sweet white rice flour
-1/3 cup tapioca starch/flour
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
-1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
-1/4 cup raw honey
-1 Tablespoon molasses
1. Preheat oven to 325F and line baking sheet with parchment paper or non stick baking mat.
2. Place oats in food processor, process until fine. Add remaining flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, process until combined.
3. Add vegan buttery spread, process until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add honey and molasses, process until dough comes together and forms a smooth ball.
4. Place dough in fridge for about 10 minutes, just enough time to clean up. If using a nonstick rolling pin, lay out a non stick baking mat for rolling dough, if not using a nonstick rolling pin, you can sandwich the dough between two pieces of parchment paper.
5. Remove half of dough ball from fridge. Sprinkle white rice flour over rolling surface and roll dough to 1/4" thickness. Cut into 1 1/2" squares (if using a non stick baking mat do not cut dough on mat, move to alternate surface before cutting) and place on lined baking sheet. Using a fork, poke each cracker a few times, and, if desired, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar prior to baking.
6. Roll out remaining dough and repeat rolling and cutting until all dough is ready to bake.
7. Bake in preheated oven 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and almost hard, they will finish hardening up after being removed from oven.