This time I filled the beautiful golden crust with warm Caramel Apple Pie filling. Yum.
Perfect Flaky Homemade Vegan Pie Crust
makes 2 balls of dough = 2 crusts (or a top/bottom crust)
-1 cup vegan buttery spread, cubed
-dash pink Himalayan sea salt
-2 1/4 cups white pastry flour, chilled
-1/4-1/2 cups water, chilled
-2-3 Tablespoons sugar (can be omitted if making a savory pie)
-extra flour for rolling out dough
-surface for rolling (I roll dough between two sheets of parchment paper)
1. Start your crust process either the night before or at least 2 hours before you will need it to make your pie.
2. Stick your cubed vegan buttery spread in the freezer for at least a half hour to chill before using. You can also chill your flour.
3. Combine flour, salt and sugar using pastry blender or large fork.
4. Cut in the vegan buttery sticks with pastry blender until mixture turns into a clumpy dry mixture.
5. You want all the butter to combine with the flour and become dry little beads.
6. Next, add in your chilled water a little bit at a time (you can also add in a splash of vanilla extract if you'd like). I usually use 1/3 - 1/2 cup ice water.
7. When your dough is now 'wet' you can transfer it onto a floured surface. It's okay if it feels 'sticky' at this point.
8. Add more flour to properly work with the dough.
9. Also, if there are a few clumps of buttery spread, that's OK too. The vegan butter clumps will melt nicely in the baking process anyways.
10. Separate your dough into two rounds. They will be incredibly soft and delicate right now. Satiny and fluffy.
11. Wrap them in plastic wrap and place them in the freezer. Freeze these balls for at least an hour before working with the dough. You can freeze overnight if needed.
12. Pull your dough from the freezer - allow to soften slightly if too hard to roll out.
13. Roll out dough and transfer into a pie tin. The crust doesn't have to be perfect when you transfer. You can always mold the dough in the tin with your fingers. Press it out through the sides as you like.
14. Bake the crust at 425 for about 5-7 minutes.
15. Pour in pie filling and add the top layer of crust.
16. Spritz or brush with oil or milk, sprinkle with sugar and bake 15 minutes at 400-425 degrees, then an additional 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Perfect, buttery, classic, rich vegan pie crust. Yum.
adapted from this recipe by Healthy. Happy. Life.